Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Below are resources that you might found helpful in your coursework this semester. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Databases to search
Discover Tool (Summon)
Search virtually ALL of the library's databases from a single access point! Removes the guesswork of choosing a single source, and is a great place to quickly research across numerous resources simultaneously.
PubMed Library link
Use this link to access PubMed/MEDLINE and see the library holdings. PubMed comprises more than 32 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Look for the PA College icon to check for full-text or to order through interlibrary loan.
DynaMed is a clinical reference tool created by physicians for physicians and other health care professionals for use primarily at the point-of-care. With clinically-organized summaries for more than 3,200 topics, DynaMed is the only evidence-based reference shown to answer most clinical questions during practice.
Article request form
Want to look at an article not owned by our library? You can request it using this form. If you are searching in a library database, you will often find this form is embedded in the database already.
There are various writing assistance options available through PA College.
- Writing Assistance (in Starfish): Schedule an appointment for assistance in Starfish. You can select an available time that works into your schedule to meet with someone from our writing assistance team.
- Drop-in tutoring: Check out this Academic Support calendar for drop-in tutoring sessions, which includes writing assistance.
- Grammarly: Grammarly automatically detects grammar, spelling, punctuation, word choice, and style mistakes in your writing. The Learning Commons provides access to the premium version of Grammarly, which you can find more information on here.
- Smarthinking (in Blackboard): This is an online tutoring service that provides on-demand tutoring in math, biology, A&P and more. There is also an option where you can submit your writing to get feedback. In Blackboard, look for the Smarthinking box under your list of courses. See below for common questions of which option in Smarthinking to select.
- APA help: Work with a Tutor or Career Coach -> Writing -> APA Formatting
- Questions needing a nursing or health sciences content specialist: Submit My Writing -> Nursing Essays or Allied Health Essays (depends on subject area)
- Help with grammar, mechanics, and formatting: Submit My Writing-> Grammar and Documentation Review
- Help with a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation: Work with a Tutor or Career Coach -> Computers & Technology -> Microsoft PowerPoint
- ESL support: You can schedule an appointment for ESL support in Starfish. In Starfish, look for Academic ESL Support on the My Success Network page to pick a day and time for your appointment.
If you have any questions or issues accessing any of these services, please email: email@example.com
Need help with APA formatting, references, and citations? Check out the library's APA guide: http://pacollege.libguides.com/APA You can also schedule an appointment with a librarian in Starfish.
Need more help?
Need some help finding articles? Questions about APA formatting or citations? Ask Amy, your class librarian, for assistance.
You can self-schedule an appointment in Starfish.
- Go to Blackboard or myPortal
- Click on Starfish
- This should take you to the My Success Network page. If not, choose My Success Network from the menu (look for the three lines on the top left to open the menu.)
- In the Health Sciences Library box, select schedule appointment.
Logging into library resources (OpenAthens)
In order to use library resources, you will need to login. New: PA College and Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health users can use their respective credentials to login to library resources. A separate OpenAthens account and password is no longer necessary.
Logging in with OpenAthens
Click here for detailed instructions including screenshots on how to access library resources using an OpenAthens login.
Health Sciences Library - Seraph Learning Commons - Cooper Building - 850 Greenfield Road - Lancaster, PA 17601 - Library@PACollege.edu - (717 947-6022).