In order to use library resources, you will need to login. New: PA College and Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health users can use their respective credentials to login to library resources. A separate OpenAthens account and password is no longer necessary.
To find research articles in PubMed, look for the option for Clinical Queries on the homepage.
Other links of interest:
Finding articles on your topic:
1. Think of a topic you are interested in.
2. Determine the most important words needed to describe your topic.
3. For each important word, create a list of additional terms you could use for that concept. They might be terms that are broader (a class of medications instead of a specific medication), narrower (a specific medication instead of a class of medications), or a synonym. This will give you options for search terms,
4. Open PubMed (located on your class guide and on the library homepage)
5. Look for the option for the MESH database. These are the subject headings that are assigned to articles. Try searching your terms from above and see if you can find subject headings. You will also see these as you are searching for articles. These subject terms are controlled vocabulary, meaning topics are describes by a standard set of terms. If you can find the terms used to describe your topic, you will like find more articles.
6. Try out different combinations of your terms above and see what you find. Some combinations will work better than others. Take note of what works best for you.
7. You can also use limiters to focus your search. These are found on the initial search screen and some are also visible on the search results page. What limiters did you find helpful for your search? (date, language, source type, etc.)
8. Read the resources you located to find additional concepts and resources you should search for information on or locate, The reference lists in articles can help you find additional articles.
9. Interlibrary loan articles not held by your library
10. Utilize the library’s APA citation guide for assistance citing what you find: http://pacollege.libguides.com/APA
11. Contact your class librarian if you need help
Need some help finding articles? Questions about APA formatting or citations? Ask Amy, your class librarian, for assistance.
You can self-schedule an appointment in Starfish.
Try searching Summon, our library discover tool, to find information for this assignment.
Try right-clicking on the following image to open a larger version in a new tab.