When searching in CINAHL, take advantage of some of the search features.
1. Full-text: This will show you articles the library has access to.
2. Date: Your professor might give you a date range in your assignment. If not, you might have to make your own decision.
3. Peer-reviewed (scholarly): This indicates the the article went through a peer reviewed process and is a criteria your professor might ask you to include.
4. English language: This will only show you articles available in English.
5. Research article: This will help you find research articles. You will still need to look at the article to confirm it is original research. The easiest way to do this is to look at the methods section and see how the study was set-up. If the author conducted the study himself, it is probably a research article.
Primary sources are ones where you are hearing from someone directly involved with the information. For example, the author of the article was the one who performed the research experiment.
Look for the Methods section in the article to see what method was used. You want the methods section to indicate the author was the one doing the experiment and not analyzing the work of others. If you do not see a methods section or the article title has something like literature review, systematic review, or meta-analysis in it, look for other options. There is more information on primary sources here: http://pacollege.libguides.com/orientation/primary You can also schedule an appointment with a librarian in Starfish for assistance.
These sources will help you read and understand the different sections of a scholarly journal article.
This video from Case Western University will help you more efficiently read a scholarly article.
In order to use library resources, you will need to login. New: PA College and Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health users can use their respective credentials to login to library resources. A separate OpenAthens account and password is no longer necessary.
Need some help finding articles? Want to make sure your articles meet the assignment criteria? Questions about APA formatting or citations? Ask Amy, your class librarian, for assistance.
You can self-schedule an appointment in Starfish.
There are various free tutoring opportunities available through PA College.